CSE Tips

AndalayBay

Enable the backup and change log settings!

[BGSEE::VersionControl]
BackupOnSave=1
LogInstantiation=1
LogChangeSetActive=1
LogChangeSetDeleted=1
LogChangeSetFormID=1
LogChangeSetEditorID=1

The backup on save is the main one. It saved my bacon the other day when a lasso select wound up selecting everything in a nearby city. I was trying to raise some rocks and wound up raising everything in the city as well! I didn't realize I had so many objects selected. The rocks were under the terrain so I couldn't orient the camera to look straight down on them.

The log settings will enable the Change Log tab in the CSE. I wish it provided a bit more information, but it does give you an idea of what changed. Good for catching spurious edits.

THANK YOU. My bacon was also saved today. I used OMOD and removed it without having backed up the esp I've been working on for hours. It was gone.  :facepalm::ghostface: :shock:

Found an almost updated esp in the backup folder due to you advice. :beerchug:

Yeah but i find it easier to just reuse all my old omods when doing reinstalls of Oblivion.

But doesn't the problem exist with Bash Installs as well? If I remove a bash install then the edited esp is removed from data folder. The old one esp (non-updated) is the one that will be added to the data folder if I reinstall the mod. Same problem.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Yeah but i find it easier to just reuse all my old omods when doing reinstalls of Oblivion.

But doesn't the problem exist with Bash Installs as well? If I remove a bash install then the edited esp is removed from data folder. The old one esp (non-updated) is the one that will be added to the data folder if I reinstall the mod. Same problem.

Actually no. If you uninstall an archive and Bash sees that you have modified the plugin, it won't delete it. However I wouldn't count on that.

If I want to tweak a mod released by someone else, I extract the contents of the mod to a series of directories that I have for my own customizations. For example, I have GameRepository\Oblivion Mods\Harvest Flora. I will edit the plugin and then copy the plugin back into that directory when I'm done. Then I will create a new archive called Harvest Flora Custom and that's what I use when I want to install the mod.

I have a similar structure for my projects. In that case, it's Projects\Project Name\Releases\Project Name x.x where x.x is the version number. I have all the source files in that folder. Then I just select everything and select Add to Archive from the context menu. As I'm working on the plugin, I'll rename the old version and then copy the new version into that folder. By the time I'm done, I'll often have about 10 copies of the plugin in the folder. So I'll have plugin.esp, plugin1.esp, plugin2.esp etc.

I suggest getting rid of all your old OMODs and just archive the loose files. Then use your archives when installing.

10 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Actually no. If you uninstall an archive and Bash sees that you have modified the plugin, it won't delete it. However I wouldn't count on that.

Very clever. I didn't know it wouldn't delete it.